Thursday, October 31, 2013

Too Many Turnip Greens


We’ve had more than three inches of rain in the past three days. The weather pattern was swirling counter-clockwise, warm air flowing up from the Gulf of Mexico meeting cold air coming from the west. Around and around it went, crashing thunderstorms announcing each new downpour. I enjoyed every minute of it, even at 3:00 A.M. today.

Even so, I knew that all the moisture would encourage the turnips to continue growing. They were just the right size for harvest, so Dennis pulled every one of the remaining plants.


Lucky for me we have been eating turnips right along, because even this harvest was a bit dismaying. Using kitchen shears I cut off all the old leaves for the chickens to enjoy. That’s their first bushel basketful beside me.


I reduced the amount of greens to an overflowing sinkful, after accumulating another bushel of leaves for the hens.


Finally I finished cutting out the midribs and chopping the leaves. Now they are simmering with olive oil and garlic. When they are done they won’t amount to much, considering all the labor involved, but they will make several packages to freeze for winter meals.

Considering the amount of time this task took, I probably should have given the chickens all the greens and emulated the squirrel that sat on the deck railing for a long time this morning, apparently enjoying the autumn colors.


Or maybe I should have climbed back on my high horse and continued to rant about the evil of single-use plastic. (If you aren’t familiar with the term “high horse,” Google it.)

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: