Sunday, October 20, 2013

Stewardship


Low impact week is over. Did it change our habits? Did it make a difference? Did it save the environment?

Yes, our habits have changed in many small ways. Dennis turns off his computer when he isn’t using it. We don’t run water full blast, and try to use only the amount necessary to clean ourselves and our kitchen. I’ve realized, too, that  I have good shoes and clothing I don’t wear and that I should pass these things along to someone who needs them, instead of leaving them in a closet  gathering dust. I could name more little changes, but one principle sums it up: take only what you really need to live a decent life.

Whether these small life-style changes will make a difference I cannot say. I know only that if all of us made an effort to use fewer resources, human beings might be able to survive into the 22nd Century. We will do what we can and hope that others will, too.

Low impact week certainly did not save the environment. In the end it comes down, not to individual sacrifices, but to our societies’ choices. Can we be good stewards of Earth? Are we willing to try?

For example, if we are willing to do what is best for Earth, we will pump less oil.


And build more wind turbines.


We have hundreds of such choices to make. Future generations depend on our making them.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

2 comments:

LawrenceLinda said...

AND my discussing Low Impact with Doug resulted in his being shamed into changing the toilet innards to save water and skipping a shower after tennis in your honor, Shirley. ( It's so cold in our house that neither of us noticed the difference.)

Shirley said...

I'm happy to know that you have joined in! I hope others will, too.