Thursday, October 17, 2013

Low Impact Week, Day Four


No Impact Week was halfway over before I discovered that each day has a different emphasis. I feel bad about having driven to town and back on Tuesday, which was supposed to emphasize walking or biking everywhere. Maybe traveling on a foot-powered scooter would qualify, too.

I made up for Tuesday on Wednesday – local food day. The way I figure, food you already have on hand should qualify as local food, even if it includes dried cranberries. I made a big batch of granola. The best thing I can claim about the granola is that all the ingredients were purchased in bulk sections of grocery stores, so there’s no packaging waste and there are no empty cartons from prepared cereals to recycle.


For lunch we had potato leek soup with fresh parsley garnish. I’m happy to say that everything in it except a bit of half and half came from our garden.


Finally, I prepared a basket of Roma tomatoes for freezing.


They scalded for 30 to 45 seconds in boiling water.


Then they went into a bowl of ice water to keep them from getting mushy.


The tomato skins slipped right off. Then I cut each fruit into smaller pieces, and simmered them to stop their natural enzymes’ action. After they cooled I put them in old cottage cheese cartons and froze them. I was thinking tomato bisque soup, vegetable soup, pasta sauce, chili, and a favorite, tomatoes baked with breadcrumbs and butter.


These three principles guided me:
            Use what you have,
            Eat what is fresh, and
            Preserve the surplus.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: