Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Lazy Cook's Tomato Sauce


Ever since I got the use of my arm back I’ve been freezing tomatoes for winter use. Some people like to simply freeze the whole tomato, but I think tomatoes turn to mush when treated that way. I stick to scalding the tomatoes in boiling water, slipping off the skins, chopping them and cooking them a little before freezing. The cooking kills the enzymes that otherwise continue to work on the tomato cells.

The entire top shelf of our freezer is filled with cottage cheese cartons full of tomatoes. Yesterday, faced with half a peck of ripe Roma tomatoes, I just couldn’t face another tomato preparation session. I had a notion to make tomato sauce, but all the recipes I found called for the scalding and peeling step.

But wait a minute, I thought. Why do the tomatoes have to be peeled? We eat the skins of fresh tomatoes without a thought. I decided to take a different approach. Our tomatoes are grown organically, so there’s no pesticide residue to worry about. I washed the tomatoes, cut off the stem end, cut them in half, scooped out most of the seeds with my finger, and threw them into the food processor. I also put in a couple of small onions, a carrot, some garlic cloves, and a stalk of celery.

I pureed this mélange in three batches, adding each batch to a three-quart pot with a quarter-cup of olive oil. After simmering for two hours, the mixture was reduced by one-third. The result was six cups of slightly chunky, thick tomato sauce.


That’s the lazy cook’s approach and it worked out just fine. One side benefit is that the sauce is loaded with heart-healthy fiber. Another is that it used a lot less electricity. I think it’s a good deal all around.

Now, what am I going to do with the remainder of this year’s tomato crop?

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: