Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Day of Odd Occurrences


Here in Paradise there’s no telling what Sunday afternoon will bring. This one has been a bit more odd than usual.

First of all, when I cracked my breakfast egg into the skillet it had two big yellow yolks. I hadn't seen a double yolk for years. Then Dennis came back from the chicken house with a couple of strange eggs. The elongated one is very soft at one end and has a little hole at its tip. The tiny one is a perfect miniature, but I’m sure if it were cracked open it wouldn’t have a yolk.


Then, when I went to the garden to pick some parsley, I noticed that the kale, which was stripped of its leaves by cabbage worms, is making a comeback. I’m glad we didn’t pull the skeletons up. Right after taking this photo I gave it a drink of water to encourage more growth.


Jack and Jeff came for a visit this afternoon, prompting another odd occurrence, a ceremony of pinning medals on each other, accompanied by much saluting and shoulder slapping. It was a male bonding thing, I suppose.


Finally, at day’s end, Dennis has come bearing a giant puffball mushroom he came across while mowing. He is still wearing his medal.


That’s enough oddities for one day. I made a plate of tomatoes with basil and olive oil for a touch of normalcy.


I hope you had an interesting Sunday, too.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

You can always count on Dennis for adding oddity and humor to the day!