Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Low Impact Week, Day Three


Yesterday living a low impact life seemed easy. That, I now realize, was because I didn’t leave home. Today, day three, I went to town to do several necessary errands. Banking was no problem. Mailing a package was no problem. The difficulties arose as soon as I reached the grocery store and realized that I had forgotten to put the damn cloth shopping bags in the car.

In Checker’s produce department I quickly found exactly what I was looking for – Jonathon apples from Waverly, Missouri. OK, Waverly isn’t exactly local, but these apples traveled less than 100 miles to get here. That’s good enough for a low impact woman. Unfortunately all the Jonathon apples came in big plastic bags.


Riding high on my success I thoughtlessly put a hand of 19-cents-a-pound bananas in my cart.

Next I looked for local meat, and sure enough, there was bratwurst produced in Bonner Springs, Kansas, just a short hop down the road. 


About this time I realized that no matter how I rationalize, bananas are not local, regional, or even national. I detoured back to the produce department to get rid of the bananas, the wind going out of my sails.

More sensitized now to the hazards of grocery shopping, as I passed through the aisles I realized that very, very little merchandise came from anywhere near where I live. And that, I suppose, is the purpose of holding a No Impact Week – to make us aware of the choices we are offered and the choices we make. How much petroleum was burned in the process of getting all these products to the store?

I can’t remember a time when I checked out at a grocery store with so little in my cart.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I often think if I HAD to live locally (and I do always try to) I would miss bananas, avocados and coffee. Good for you for paying attention and sharing your experience. And good for Carol!