Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Devil Made Me Do It


Fabian Seafood was my downfall on the last day of Low Impact Week. Spring through autumn the Fabian Seafood truck makes a trek north from Galveston, bringing shrimp and other seafood to landlocked towns. Every day the truck swings by an airport to pick up a supply of just-caught seafood. I received an email notice that the truck would be selling shrimp at a car wash in Lawrence last Saturday, the last day of my Low Impact Week.

Having spent several winters on Galveston Island, I longed for a taste of the food so plentiful there, but I was resolute. I would not drive to Lawrence to purchase food from the Gulf of Mexico. I would not.

Saturday morning my friend Kathy, who lives in Lawrence and who knows I love Gulf shrimp, called to say she was going to buy shrimp – the truck was just a few blocks from her house. Should she get some for me, too?

Without hesitation I caved and asked her to get me five pounds. Then rationalization set in. We could keep our tradition of shrimp for Christmas Eve supper. After all, I won’t be going to Galveston this year, so I deserve at least to have a few shrimp. I know, it’s just a bunch of excuses for doing something I shouldn’t have done.

Dennis picked up the shrimp on Sunday. We immediately froze four pounds in water. Then I cooked a pound. (That’s when I realized that a pot of water boils more quickly if it is covered.)


The term "boiled shrimp" is a misnomer. Shrimp doesn’t need to cook much. Recipes that give an exact number of minutes can easily result in over-cooked shrimp. The best way is to drop the shrimp into boiling water. They all sink to the bottom of the pan.


When you see a tail rise to the top, the shrimp is nearly cooked.


When all the shrimp rise to the top, they are done.


Immediately remove them from the water and let them cool. While they cool, stir up some cocktail sauce: ketchup, lemon juice, and as much prepared horseradish as you can tolerate.


Try not to feel guilty when you eat the shrimp. Give the shells to the chickens. Promise yourself you will do better in the future. That’s what I’m doing.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

You sound like an addict! Nothin' better than shwimpies from Galveston, though!
I've also used the shells to enhance broth!
Loved the tutorial, btw, but I love you MORE!