Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Last Car

Because of my car problems in Galveston, Dennis suggested a spur-of-the-moment CRV shopping expedition. I needed one of the older models with a side-opening rear door because I can't reach high enough to close the newer models' rear doors, which open upward.

After decades of marriage I know I can trust Dennis' intuition in these matters and I was not disappointed. The Honda salesman had just two previously-owned CRVs, but the first one he showed us was perfect. The 2005 CRV was the last with a side-opening rear door, and this one has just 42,000 miles on the odometer. Before I knew it I was writing a check.


This left me with an extra car, the 1999 CRV I've driven for the past ten years. Because grandson Logan was the person who introduced me to the idea of buying a CRV and because he is too tall to fit comfortably in the car he drives, it seemed fitting to pass the '99 along to him.

Here I am presenting Logan with the title.


Ten years from now, if my newest car performs like the last one, I'll be presenting another grandchild with a car title, at which time I plan to retire from driving.

6 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Love you in your silver bullet! Great photo of you and Logan. Did Oz take the photo of you and Logan, or was Dennis standing on the roof?

Zach will be preparing to learn how to drive this summer!

Shirley said...

Oz took the photo of title presentation and he held the camera over his head.

If Zach doesn't want his own car before ours are ready to pass on, he's next in line.

Ivo Beutler said...

Haha! =D I like the expression on Logan’s face! It’s like he just won a million dollars. I guess the moment your grandson suggested the CRV, he was really thinking about his ideal car. Served him well for helping his grandma pick a great car! =D

Ivo Beutler

Nicole said...

Oooh! That’s so sweet of you! I hope my grandma would turn over her car to me as well. Haha! I’m sure Logan was really happy not just because he is now the owner of this CRV, but also because he happens to have a loving and thoughtful grandma like you! ;)

Nicole Vickers

Stelle said...

I remembered when my mom gave me her CR-V when I was still a teenager. The car meant a lot to me and I was so glad when she decided that I’ll be driving it from that day forward. I know I wasn’t a good driver then, but she trusted me with the car. I bet Logan is also one of the happiest grandsons when he received this car. Anyway, how’s your newest car? I hope you’re enjoying your moments with it.

+ Stelle Courney +

Shirley said...

My newest car is another CRV, which I love almost as much as I loved the one I gave to Logan. By the way, he will be driving the older CRV to Madison, Wisconsin, where he will start a graduate program in physics. When he was little we called him Einstein because of his wild hair, but little did we know he would become a physicist.