Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Love The Lowly Dandelion

A yard full of yellow dandelion and purple violet blossoms gleaming in the green grass is a feast for my eyes.

The dandelion's blossom is exquisite when regarded up close. Such fancy pistils, shaped like double fishhooks!


No less lovely is its starburst seed head.

The dandelion progresses quickly, going from bud to seed head in about a week. Maybe it speeds the process because it knows many people hate it and will kill it if they can. I don't know exactly why it is so despised; I love its ephemeral beauty.

3 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

...and the greens! So nutritious! My Korean friend made a fabulous meal involving dandelion greens from her yard!

Shirley said...

I didn't associate dandelions with greens for consumption. Duh!

How about a recipe contribution, Jayhawk Fan?

WilleWorks.com said...

You know these are Logan's favorite flowers. :)