Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Island Life

Dennis and I have been on Galveston Island for more than two weeks, and I've just now brought my computer to the Sand 'N Sea office for a test. Yes, the computer performs just fine connected to a DSL line!

That it has taken me this long is a characteristic of island life. Everything slows down to a crawl. After a few days, just taking care of personal hygiene and food takes all day. One can barely squeeze in a beach walk.

The weather has been variable. A heavy rain, fog, light mist, sunshine, wind, calm, and just about everything except ice, sleet and snow.

Today has been overcast after an early morning shower. Now rain is threatening again.

We love the wide deck on two sides of the house, both facing canals.

Here's Dennis on the west side, where we take shelter and enjoy sunshine when a north wind blows. I took this photo the first week we were here. The temperature was 73 F.

Every winter the beach brings different things. The first year I came, probably ten years ago, shells were plentiful and varied. The sea also delivered lemons, peppers, fluorescent light bulbs, and neon green and pink flip-flops to which were attached neon-colored shellfish. In 2007 we found mostly fishermen's nets and oyster bags. Dennis treasures the oyster bags still -- he uses them to hold recycling. Last year I found lots of baby's ears and the ones I call fingernails.



This year few shells have presented themselves. This is my first week's collection of beach finds. The white pieces framing the arrangement are scales from a very large fish we found well-decomposed. At the top are two sand dollars, so new that they are still green. In the center are bones from the crucifix catfish, whose breastbone so resembles a religious icon. On their right are a tiny slipper shell and two baby's ears -- the larger one the largest I've ever found here. Finally, the bird-like piece is an oyster shell fragment.

Sand 'N Sea is ready to close for the day, and so am I.

4 comments:

Randy Antelope said...

Lovely to read your reveries by the Gulf. The world of the Sea is so different from our landlocked one. Be reassured that the pines will eventually all fall. I used up my good chains. So, a visit to Kaw Valley Industrial is in order for some sharpening. For sure, the 3 pines remaining by the road to your mailbox will go soon and there are (as we discussed) a few big ones on the north end of the pasture that are on the way out. It is interesting to wander about and see that your pines will be succeeded by a variety of species that should perpetuate the screen you first created.

Jayhawk Fan said...

I love the photos! More photos! I want to see YOU in situ!

Those shells are calling me, even if there are only a few of them!

Love to you all!

LawrenceLinda said...

A piece of a song....."in the pines, in the pines, where the sun never shines and I shiver the whole night through" came to me after reading the above post.
I am so sorry about your MAC. I think you must convince them that it is LEMON, not an APPLE, and give you a new computer. Trade it in for a MacBook and some cash.
We've been having glorious weather for winter. The grandkids flew in and out with not one weather problem. Brownback is taking office and it sounds like the weather will respond and turn cold and nasty. Ha! Linda

Jayhawk Fan said...

I had to figure out who "Randy Antelope" is before I commented on his comment, which was very reassuring! So glad to know the screen will continue in perpetuity ~ sounds like a funeral home brochure! I guess I missed my calling.