Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Homesick

Yesterday everything appeared gray -- sky, water, houses, my mood.


I longed to see instead the Kansas winter landscape, soft and mellow with russet and blue tones even on gray days.


My eye longed to see black bare branches against the sky.


I longed especially to see the old hedge row that leads to home.


Living in Kansas for 45 years has revealed to me the subtle beauty of its landscapes. My eyes feast on that beauty every day back home, even on gray days, and it nourishes my soul.

Today everything here looks brighter: the sun is shining on Galveston Island, a gentle breeze rustles palm leaves, birds have returned to the bay, and I'm headed for a long walk on the beach. Even so, Kansas, I love you best, and I always will.


1 comment:

LawrenceLinda said...

Your world in Galveston looks like a floating world of solid objects with the same color sky as water, grey above and below. You can think of Kansas as doing the same thing with the aquifer below us. Well, it's a stretch.
We missed you at SEW WHAT. Are you really staying three months?