Friday, January 21, 2011

Galveston Wildlife

The island has 41 places for public access to the beach with parking areas. My favorite, number 40 is near the west end of the island where there are no houses, the beach is wide, and the shelling is best. I've been there often, but only last week did I notice this sign posted by the stairs to the boardwalk.

The sign refers to the area under the boardwalk, not the boardwalk itself, of course.

Normally boardwalks are meant to protect the dunes from destructive foot traffic, but this one has quite a different purpose. Thankfully, it is long and high, passes over the rattlesnakes' domain and ends right on the beach.


Rattlesnakes aren't the only wildlife here. A pack of coyotes lives near my house but they are dangerous only to household pets. A raccoon visited our deck one night, stole a bag of kitchen scraps intended for feeding gulls, ripped it open, ate the best parts, and left the vegetable scraps scattered down the stairs.

I feel much more at home on the island knowing that critters are here, just like the ones who share Paradise with us in Kansas.

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Is that last photo of the boardwalk? My oh my, I think it is the most elaborate one I've ever seen!

Rattlesnakes, huh? Only you wouldn't be disturbed by that! I can't wait to see this for myself!

Love you, Mama!