Sunday, June 27, 2010

Synchronicity


A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my orchid plant, sitting on a side table, looked lonely and out of place. I asked myself where orchids grow in nature - they grow clinging to trees. The orchid needed to be elevated above the table.

Right away I thought of using the vase Carol made in a ceramics class and gave to me. The vase has always cried out for a hat.


The lady has two faces, like one of those awake or asleep rag dolls.



Here's where synchronicity comes in.

That afternoon a birthday package came for Dennis. It was a book from Pia called Kleider der Natur, translated as Clothes of Nature. Amazingly, the book is about people in Africa who routinely adorn themselves with paint and plant materials.


The young woman on the cover certainly can hold her own against my orchid lady, but some of the people pictured in the book seem a bit threatened.

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Too cool, really. I adore the orchid hat on Carol's lady and then for this particular book to arrive! It's like you're one with the universe!