Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Disgruntled



Yes, I'm feeling displeased and discontented. I've lost my focus.

Is it because my beloved Gulf of Mexico is turning into an oil cesspool?

Is it because the Catholic Church won't allow women to be priests but permits male priests to violate the innocence of children?

Is it because Republicans, who used to be nice guys like Dwight David Eisenhower, have turned mean-spirited and irrational?

Is it because of the ever-widening gap between the wealthy and the impoverished in the U.S.?

Is it because the Supreme Court has ruled that corporations have the right to own our politicians and our government?

Is it because young soldiers are dying or coming home with terrible brain injuries incurred while fighting a war we never should have started?

Is it because many of our brightest college graduates are heading for Wall Street instead of Main Street?

Is it because the few products now made in America are often shoddy and disfunctional?

Is it because our streams and rivers are toxic with agricultural, industrial, and mining waste and run off?

Is it because polar bears soon will have no place to live?

All of these and more distress me. Not one of them can I change or prevent. The only solution is to live a simple life and, like Candide, tend my garden.

No comments: