Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Daily Rain, Daily Bread

It's raining again. Mercy, the rain just keeps coming - more than four inches in the past week. But here comes another thunderstorm. Annie was desperate to get in the house. (She's become a wimp since she lost Kazak.)

At only a little after 5:00 p.m., it's so dark outside the fireflies are flashing. Usually they don't begin until eight in the evening! I wish I had the equipment and skill to photograph the fireflies against dark green grass, but I don't.

In the kitchen bread is rising

For several weeks my wrists were out of commission and I couldn't bake bread. I tried many different commercial brands of bread, bread from grocery store bakeries, and bread from two of the better Lawrence bakeries. Not one filled the bill. They were too light and fluffy, or too dense, or too chewy and quick to dry out, or just plain weird tasting. Last week I was able to resume baking, and this is the result.


It's eighty percent whole wheat, with a little honey and canola oil. I'll send you the recipe if you want to try it.

Art Progress

I've made some progress on Grandmother Spider. But how to attach her legs? I don't know yet.



Going To Seed

Remember the cold frame lettuces? (May 9, Cold Frame Gardening.) Here's one of the four remaining plants. I'm letting them go to seed. This one is buttercrunch, a bibb lettuce. It looks very different from what we think of as lettuce. It's going to get downright ugly. I'll post a photo when that happens.



The thunderstorm has passed now. After just an hour there's another inch-and-a-half in the rain gauge. Rain, rain, go away. Come back some hot July day.

3 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

I have my yeast, I bought a jug o' honey, I've got my wheat flour....now where's that RECIPE!

Jayhawk Fan said...

I forgot to mention how much I love Granma Spider! What's her hair made of?

Shirley said...

The hair is dryer lint soaked in Elmer's Glue diluted with water.