Friday, January 11, 2013

Where Have All The Seashells Gone?


The first time I came to Galveston Island, in 1990, the Gulf  deposited heaps of seashells at every ebbing tide. One day, when the tide was unusually low, I gathered a basketful of sand dollars from one of the offshore ridges. 

The next winter I returned to Galveston to await spring in Kansas. I collected hundreds of beautiful shells and created temporary shell arrangements on the kitchen countertop. For example, I found dozens of zigzag scallop shells ranging from tiny to large, and arranged them by size. All the light-colored spots in this photo, taken in 2000, are seashells.


Winter is supposed to be the great seashell season on Galveston Island, but today I see only bits and fragments of old shells, and few of those.


The broken zigzag scallop in the next photo is the only one I've seen this year. Its white companion may be a fragment of an ancient horse conch.



What has happened? I don’t’ know the cause, but I can think of three possibilities. The first possibility is Hurricane Katrina in 2005, which contaminated the Gulf with human waste of every kind. The second possibility is the BP oil well failure in 2011, which killed dolphins, sea turtles, fish and other marine life forms. The third is the increasing acidity of Earth’s ocean waters, which dissolves the calciferous shells, causing the death of the creatures that live in those shells.

I don’t need to collect seashells. I have several boxes of them at home. The beach, however, seems bare without them and I miss seeing them there.

Thankfully, the sea grass is returning to the beach, an assurance that some life forms go on.


Still, I worry about the health of our oceans.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: