Friday, January 4, 2013

The Seven Deadlies


For some reason, maybe because a new year is beginning, I’ve been thinking about the seven deadly sins and wondering exactly what they are and why they are deadly.

The seven deadlies were not part of my religious education. Instead we sang a lot about going to heaven and listened to sermons extolling the life of Jesus Christ. I always thought Jesus was a cool dude, going around in sandals telling people to live a simple life and be kind to one another. As I recall he didn’t have a whole lot to say about sin.

Today I looked up the deadlies. They are: wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and gluttony. Why are they mortal? Wikipedia says it is because “mortal or deadly sin is believed to destroy the life of grace destroy the life of grace and charity within a person …”1


The Navajo, I imagine, would say that these behaviors destroy one’s hozho, putting one out of harmony with reality.

I wonder what Epicurus would have to say about the deadlies. He lived long before Christianity came along, so he probably wouldn’t have the word “sin” in his vocabulary, but somehow I think he would agree with me. From my point of view, any one of the deadlies would disrupt a simple, pleasurable life. They would disturb the peace.


Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: