Monday, January 14, 2013

The Worst Part of Being away from Home


I miss my handy laundry room and my roomy shower. I miss seeing my friends. I miss the grocery stores at home where I know the location of everything I need. But these are mere inconveniences, easily overcome.

What I really miss is saving kitchen scraps for our chickens. Today I made a pot of soup and ruefully threw the carrot and celery trimmings into the trash. This evening I made cole slaw and cornbread and had to throw away the trimmings and eggshell, both of which the chickens would love to eat.


Over several weeks time I will have wasted a lot of scraps. They will go to a dump rather into the best organic recycling method, chickens.

Moreover, we can’t find Galveston’s recycling center, so the amount of trash we are generating is excessive. I don’t feel extremely guilty because I have no alternative and this is temporary, but I deeply regret this waste.

Lots of people don’t recycle anything. Doesn’t it make them feel a little bit ashamed? 

Just to lighten things up a bit, here’s a photo of the smallest possible beach house.


Actually, I was delighted to find this little house. It stands in stark contrast to the McMansions that litter the landscape here. What is worse, no one lives in them. They are vacation homes, seldom used. They are another example of American excess and income inequality. I'll post some photos of them soon.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

I know what you mean about recycling. I can't bear to let something go to a landfill that I know can be recycled or composted! Remember the last time you were in Galveston you saved all the egg shells?

Love you!