Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Wildlife at The Front Door


I don't sweep with a broom anymore because it hurts my wrists. Consequently, the entrance to our house has become festooned with cobwebs and dry leaves, and is inhabited by various forms of wildlife.

One day a few weeks ago hundreds of granddaddy-long-legs had hatched and were clambering about the cedar siding and limestone walls. Most of them left for greener pastures, but now a wolf spider has built an elaborate tunnel-shaped web. He lies in wait for his next meal. (See what I mean about festoons?)



A couple of weeks ago I bought a heuchera plant at Pine's and set it beside the stone step. It has been well-watered, but yeterday it was looking ill. When I picked up the pot for close examination, out hopped this fat toad.


Wow! (As Zander would say.) This same toad dug into a two-inch pot of rue last spring. How he has grown! I put some potting soil in the rust-colored pot in the top photo, hoping he will abandon the heuchera.

The big attraction for both of these critters is probably the porch light, which attracts insects, their natural prey.

I'm glad I can't sweep anymore. A well-swept life would be far less interesting.

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Amen, sista! Love the photos! I'm so glad the squished toad I found in your driveway wasn't the only one around! Bless his soul....I don't noticed the "festooned" look from a distance. It takes a trained eye and photographer to catch these creatures!