Friday, July 30, 2010

RA

Life isn't all sunshine and flowers. Accidents happen. Disease strikes. Pain, loss, and suffering are part of life, too, as everyone eventually must learn.

In 1986 I learned that lesson, when severe rheumatoid arthritis struck with vengeance. Over these 24 years RA has destroyed the joints in my hands, shoulders and feet.



Surgeons have patched me up with bits of metal and plastic, but ability to do the things I love diminishes progressively. I've had to give up woodcarving, gourd art, knitting, and a host of other creative outlets.

Now, with failing wrists, I'm ready to give up sewing, one of my favorite activities since I was 12 years old, as well as most gardening. I'm hanging on to cooking, though, with the help of gadgets, tools, and Dennis, who does all the heavy lifting.

In some important ways this disease has been a gift. It has taught me humility and compassion. Priorities have become clear. My appreciation for family, friends, and Nature has deepened. And, in spite of all the loss, there is still so much I can do and much I have to be thankful for.

2 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Thank god for the blob! I remember when your mother came down with shingles and said it humbled her...I still have the photos of you BEFORE RA hit and the photo AFTER RA became your bedfellow. What a difference! But, I can honestly say that you look/act STRONGER than you did 24 years ago! This disease showed us ALL what YOU are made of! Iron/Steel/LOVE!

I love you with all my heart and soul,
your FIRST daughter.

Jayhawk Fan said...

...and yes, this post made me cry, but I have a daughter who is comforting me.