Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Another Swallowtail

After I posted pictures of tiger swallowtails yesterday, a black swallowtail showed up. The blacks are even more jittery than the tigers and I was lucky to get these shots. I also got a bunch of chigger bites from wading into the flowerbed.


While the tigers feed exclusively on the coneflowers, the blacks prefer phlox and tiger lilies.


Aren't the dots on the abdomen a nice design touch?

Today a mob of fritillary butterflies are feeding on the coneflowers, but I can't handle any more chigger bites just now.

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

When IS a good time to handle chiggers???? Thank you for pointing out the spots on the abdomen...I wouldn't have noticed with all the color elsewhere. These creatures are truly amazing! I realized after looking at your pictures that I don't have phlox, but something else. I NEED PHLOX and Cone Flowers! Thank goodness I already have Tiger Lilies!