Saturday, May 2, 2015

My Tulip Mania

People here are saying that this spring is the only perfect one in memory. For me, that’s a span of at least 40 years, about as long as I’ve really been paying attention to weather, flowers, fruit trees, and gardens.

Everything outside is so beautiful this year I’m drawn from the house several times a day for a ramble. Who could resist the lure of this path to see what lies around the curve?


This year I’m especially captivated by the tulips. When I read Michael Pollan’s The Botany of Desire, I understood the sections on potatoes, apples, and marijuana, but I couldn’t appreciate the section on the early 17th Century tulip mania. I couldn’t understand how the European world became crazed with desire for tulips, but I now see that was because I had never seen tulips in their glory.

In the past, our tulip blossoms seemed to last about 15 minutes after an unseasonal hot wind from the south fried them. Often the blooms were sparse or malformed.  For example, this parrot tulip never amounted to a hill of beans in all the years it has been in my garden. The flowers always were runty and mostly green. Take a gander at it this year…


This year every tulip bulb has produced several perfect flowers. Currently, along with the parrot tulip, these dark pink ones are in their glory days.


Best of all is a tulip I swear I never planted. It’s what is known in biology as a “sport,”
A plant or animal that looks strikingly different from its parent. I don’t know whether it came from bulb division or a seed. (It could be a seed. I have been neglectful about deadheading tulips in the past.) The only tulip near the sport is a deep red one, about 4 inches away. There’s never been a white tulip in my garden, so the white must be from a recessive gene.


I’ve been reading about genes and mutation in Bill Bryson’s book, *A Short History of Nearly Everything, and here it is, happening in my flower garden!

The tulip season is nearing its end for this year. I am thankful to have lived to witness it.


Copyright 2015 by Shirley Domer

No comments: