Wednesday, May 13, 2015

A Perfect Day in May


Spring is in its fullness. This season seems to whirl with ecstatic activity. Like fireworks, the spring flowers burst one after another, each beginning to fade as soon as we sigh “Ahhhh.” Tulips have all finished blooming, but now columbine and spiderwort are continuing the show.

Native Columbine and White Spiderwort

The same frantic rush is happening in the vegetable garden. This morning Dennis cut spinach and I prepared it for freezing. This afternoon Dennis was planting beans and peppers while I was harvesting thyme, lettuce, and cilantro. I knew the thyme would soon start blooming and I needed to cut it before that happens.

Thyme Ready to Harvest

We’ve quickly moved from eating baby lettuce thinnings to harvesting only three lettuce plants for our evening salad. The thinning process continued today when I cut the pale green plant in the photo below, leaving the dark green romaine and a deep red one to continue to grow larger.

Mixed Lettuces

Writing these words, I look out the window at our woods, at its myriad shades of green, at its utter freshness, and I am thankful once again to be alive, witnessing this perfect spring in its fullness.

A Tiny Part of Our Woods


Copyright 2015 by Shirley Domer

No comments: