Thursday, May 21, 2015

A Group Effort Pie for Rose Evelyn

This is a banner year for gooseberries. The berries are early and very large.


Every berry must be trimmed to remove the green stem and the black “beard,” which is the remnants of the flower petals. Yesterday afternoon I worked at that task for half an hour and managed to finish only a half-cup of berries. For a pie I needed three cups. At the rate I was going I would spend a total of three hours stemming berries and another half hour making the pie.


Just as I gave up on the task, two gooseberry pie lovers showed up. They finished the job in record time with the help of snacks, drinks, and conversation.


This morning I baked the pie and sent it off with the two brothers who were going to visit their mother, another gooseberry pie lover, in celebration of her 97th birthday. Happy birthday, Rose Evelyn. I hope you enjoy the pie with your first two sons.


Copyright 2015 by Shirley Domer

No comments: