Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Getting Ready


Hip joint replacement surgery is scheduled for day after tomorrow, so we’re getting ready. I attended a joint replacement class at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, one of the top 100 hospitals in the country, and brought home a notebook full of information about hip replacement, after care, and rehabilitation. With the help of this notebook, this evening we have been preparing for my return from the hospital.

After hip joint replacement one must not allow the knee to be higher than the hip for several week. The notebook says that one must not sit on a chair lower than 22 inches. That is considerably higher than normal chairs. Dennis has been measuring the height of all the seating I plan to use after surgery.

He adjusted the legs of the elevated toilet seat, graciously has loaned by Linda, to exactly 22 inches.


He checked the height of the foam cushions I bought at Hancock Fabrics to put in the seat of my dining chair. Twenty-two inches.


He removed the cushion from one of the living room chairs and placed it on the cushion of the matching chair, and measured. Sure enough, 22 inches.


Dennis went to the basement and brought up a walker that I acquired after a foot surgery, but never used. He also brought up a cane whose origin I can’t remember.


Finally, I got out the ice bag cover I made when I had foot surgery. Its two sides hold two one-quart plastic bags full of crushed ice.  I will need this to control pain and swelling in my hip.


Before I come home after surgery, Dennis will roll up the two carpets and stow them away so they will not be obstacles as I move about. I’m not sure how we will keep Annie from being an obstacle, but I think if we put her bed in an out-of-the-way place, she won’t trip me up.


Here’s the thing: getting ready helps one go into a difficult ordeal with greater confidence. In the case of my upcoming operation, success depends not only on the skill of the surgeon, nursing care, and physical therapy – it depends on the patient doing what she can to be prepared with the help of one good man.

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

No comments: