Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Happy Home


The winter dragon lashed his tail again. This dragon is more fierce than most and he packs quite a wallop. This time the forecasters predicted ice and sleet, followed by lots of snow. We fretted about the possibility of losing electricity, the worst thing that can happen in winter. My bones knew something was coming. My joints ached. Sharp unexpected pains took my breath away. I could barely stand to walk. 

Finally, after three days of my pain and the weather people's dire predictions, we got no ice, no sleet, and only about three inches of snow.


What did happen, though, was very depressing. The temperature dropped to 8º F in the day and to -8º F that night. Lethargy set in, both physically and emotionally. I didn’t accomplish anything and I didn’t care. It seemed that winter would never end.

The temperatures will moderate now, starting with today near 40º F.  My aches and pains have gone away. I’m elated and feel energy returning. This morning I decided to polish an old pie tin. I found it and its twin at a thrift shop years ago. They are small, measuring just eight inches from rim to rim.

I’ve made many pies for two in these tins. They cheer me and I treasure them for their endurance through the decades, for the pies they have held, and for the women whose hands created those pies.


It’s nice to have come back to life, happy at home.

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

No comments: