Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday, Cleaning Day


Friday is the homemaker’s traditional day to clean the house in preparation for the weekend. Personally, I’ve never enjoyed house cleaning. I would rather make messes.

When I was in kindergarten I asked my teacher if I could wash the doll clothes. With her permission I made a pan of sudsy water, washed the clothes, hung them up to dry, and walked away. When she asked me who would clean up the mess I had made, I said, “Some boy will do it.” Apparently I was a feminist from the get-go, and had the idea that males of our species were supposed to do the dirty work.

When I first became a homemaker I fantasized about having a house in which all the furniture was suspended from the ceiling and the floors were made of tile with a floor drain in every room. My idea was to simply hose everything down and go outside until it dried.

Luckily, times have changed and many men participate in house cleaning. The old-time housewife would be amazed, I’m sure.

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

1 comment:

LawrenceLinda said...

I designed that same house when I was a girl! Mine had a hole in each room into which you plugged your vacuum cleaner and whoosh all the dirt went to the trash bin.
I was delighted to visit a fast food restaurant many years later that had all the chairs and tables suspended from the walls ( have forgotten which chain has that style or if they still do.)