Friday, March 7, 2014

Comeuppance


I knew better than to claim that I know how to cook. I’ve heard the adage, “Pride goeth before a fall.” Now I’ve had my comeuppance.

A couple of days ago I bought an eggplant, just because its purple skin was so shiny and unblemished. The only dish I’d ever made with eggplant was ratatouille, but this time I felt adventurous. I made a recipe called “Eggplant and roasted red pepper terrine.” All the ingredients were at hand – the eggplant, roasted red peppers in the freezer, fresh parsley, and brie cheese.

It was a labor of love, but love’s labors were lost. The terrine looked pretty, but it tasted terrible, even with the fresh tomato sauce. Here’s what remained after Dennis and I each took a serving.


I ate crow and we fed the terrine to the chickens, who found it to be quite to their taste. As least it didn’t go to waste.

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Happens to everybody, even amazing cooks like you! Now you have a recipe you don't have to save! It looks pretty.