Monday, January 27, 2014

Old Sweater, How I Love You


Every person has one, I bet, except for those who live in the tropics and don’t wear much of anything. You know the sweater I mean. It’s the one with fuzz balls and the thin elbows. It may be the one with a couple of moth holes. It’s the one you reach for when the house feels chilly or you have to run outside to the mailbox on a winter’s afternoon. It doesn’t scratch and you don’t have to fold it nicely when you take it off. This sweater has gone many miles with you and you love it.

I clearly remember the day my old sweater and I got together. I was in a department store looking for a career suit and was on my way to the dressing room to try one on when I passed by a 50% off rack. My eye fell on this long, grey, size M, wool cardigan with pockets but no buttons. Without a moment’s consideration I grabbed it. It was love at first sight.


The sweater often went to work with me and became a work wardrobe mainstay. When I retired, my sweater retired with me and made a smooth transition to being a country-life sweater.

When the sweater began to look ratty I started looking for its replacement. Every similar cardigan I could find was flawed: big buttons, not wool, too dressy, too flashy, a collar, and often no pockets!

Now I’ve quit looking. No more the roving eye for me. I only have eyes for my old sweater. It’s at least 25 years old. We’re growing old together. I may even want to be buried in it.

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

2 comments:

LawrenceLinda said...

And it is in style now. You just need to wear it with leggings and boots.

Kendra said...

if you need pockets for any outfit, perhaps can help you Shirley ;)
xoxo,
@PortaPocketGal