Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Bakeware Protection


A person has to protect her bakeware. I can’t remember how many 9”x9” pans I ruined by cutting cornbread with a sharp knife before I caught on and started using a table knife instead. Even the table knife tended to mar the inside surface of the pan.

Then one day I had a moment of lateral thinking and saw my bench scraper – a tool intended for use in kneading bread dough on a hard surface – in a new way.


Because I knead bread using a pastry cloth, I had used my bench scraper only for dividing bread dough, usually into two parts to make two loaves of bread. I used it as a cutter. Why not, I realized, use it to cut other things, such as a pan of brownies, a 9”x13” cake, or the aforementioned cornbread?

Instead of dragging a knife through the baked goods, I repeatedly use the bench scraper to cut straight down along the intended rows. I cut this cornbread into nine pieces.


Aren’t multiple-use tools great?

Oh, and when someone offers to cut the bar cookies for you, hand them the bench scraper. Never allow another person to do the cutting without your supervision! (Yes, I am a nut about baking.)

Copyright 2014 by Shirley Domer

No comments: