Thursday, January 9, 2014

Giving up Plastic Wrap


During Low Impact week, back in November, I decided to give up single-use plastic. I’m not giving up plastic – who could, when more than 6,000 items of everyday use are made of it? I’d have to toss my hearing aids, toothbrush, coffee pot, and a host of other items I use daily. But use-once-and-throw-in-the-trash plastic is history at my house.

The first thing to go was plastic wrap. I always hated it anyway. Tearing off a piece of plastic wrap was always tricky and keeping it from sticking to itself was a struggle.

I’ve replaced plastic wrap with hoodie things from the beauty supply shop. I don’t know what they are meant for, but they make great bowl covers that can be washed and re-used many times. Here’s one that covers my mixer bowl.


I’ve written before about my plastic bag collection and how they can be washed and re-used again and again. A plastic bag can hold a bowl of leftovers or a dinner roll. Instead of using those irritating twisty things I used wooden clip clothes pins.


And, harking back to the days before plastic, I often cover a bowl of leftovers with a saucer or larger plate before setting it in the refrigerator.


I don’t miss plastic wrap one little bit. Good riddance, I say.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: