Monday, January 13, 2014

More Sewing


Yesterday, inspired by nightgown sewing success, I was back at the sewing machine, constructing a cover for a little pillow acquired at the hospital when my shoulder joint was replaced last June. The little pillow is just the right size for the seat of my kitchen perch. I used a scrap of fabric left from making a baby bib years ago.


The first step was to construct ties to attach the pillow to my kitchen perch. I used bias strips 1¼-inches wide.


Next I sewed an envelope for the pillow, using two rectangles just a bit larger than the pillow.


Finally, I tucked in the unsewn edges, placing the ties, folded in half, at the ends of the seam.


Woops! In my enthusiasm I had neglected to observe the perch. The ties were not in the right place. Never mind. That’s why there are seam rippers. It took only five minutes to attach the ties in their proper places.


This sewing project took only a little over an hour, even counting my mistake. Now I wonder why I had procrastinated for so long. Lack of confidence, I suppose, but that’s behind me now. What next? That's a question to ponder while I rest my scrawny old frame on this cushy pillow.


Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: