Monday, November 25, 2013

The Old Dog Learns a New Trick


A few years ago I developed slightly high blood pressure. This puzzled me because my blood pressure had always been quite low.

Like most other older women, I had been advised by my doctor to take 1200 mg. of calcium every day to help prevent bone loss. I faithfully followed his advice.

Then a newsletter called “From The  Heart” came in the mail. Oh, boy! The lead article was about calcium supplements being deposited in our blood vessels, clogging them up, instead of being used to strengthen our bones. That article explained a lot about my health – blood pressure, osteopenia, and calcium supplements were all tied together.

Right away I threw away my calcium supplements, but still I was vulnerable to osteoporosis, a dangerous condition that often leads to crumbling hips.

My friend Linda, a microbiologist and one smart cookie, advised me to derive calcium from animal and fish bones by boiling them in water with vinegar added.

Years ago I had read a New Yorker article, “The Darkening Sea,”* that described the marine life consequences of our increasingly acidic ocean waters. Acid dissolves the shells of marine life. Soon, as oceanic acidity increases, critters with shells will die off, disrupting the food chain for other marine creatures and eventually leading to their demise as well.

Why didn’t I translate that information into adding vinegar to bones when I make broth? Why didn’t I take Linda’s advice sooner? I can’t answer those questions, but yesterday  a little internet research revealed that “Bone broth contains minerals such as calcium, silicon, sulphur, magnesium, phosphorous & trace minerals in an easily assimilable form.” (http://divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com/2012/05/bone-broth-nutritional-facts-benefits/)

Today that poor old turkey breast carcass that has provided us with so many meals this past week is simmering in water once again, but with a tablespoon of cider vinegar added. I plan to use the broth to make another soup.


This old dog has learned a new trick.

 *The New Yorker, Nov. 20, 2006 
Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: