Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Reconstruction


When the weather turned chilly Dennis and I were discussing the need for a warmer cover for his bed. I remembered a comforter we bought when we were maintaining a house in Lexington, Kentucky, as well as our house in Paradise. It has been stored in a plastic bag in the basement, and used only when overnight visitors came.

Dennis brought it upstairs, opened the bag, and exclaimed, “There’s a big hole in it!” Sure enough, there it was, an odd oval cut out of the top layer of fabric.


How or when this happened is anybody’s guess, but I suspect a small child with a pair of scissors. Not that I’m naming any names. Maybe it was a poltergeist.

This morning I spent four hours repairing the destruction. This involved finding an appropriate fabric, cutting two patches (one hidden under the other) and sewing the patches over the hole by hand.


I figure it took not more than two minutes for someone to cut the hole. So, let’s see, since I spent four hours repairing it, that’s a ratio of one to one hundred twenty comparing destruction to reconstruction.

Hand sewing leaves a lot of time for thought. I thought about baking a pumpkin pie. I thought about when the rain might hit. I thought about the destruction of our global environment that has occurred in the past sixty or so years, since the conclusion of World War II.

If it takes one hundred twenty times longer to repair destruction than the destruction took, then we are looking at 7,200 years to repair our environment if we get started right away.

Holy moly, I’m not going to talk about that.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer