Sunday, November 10, 2013

It's Finally Over


The 2013 garden is finally over. We finished storing the last of the produce today. I prepared the last Roma tomatoes for freezing. Dennis and I sorted the sweet potatoes, separating the damaged ones from the sound ones. I will prepare the damaged ones first because they won’t keep well. Dennis carried a bushel of the sound ones to the basement, where they will keep all winter. I put the few remaining turnips in the refrigerator vegetable drawer. I sorted the last of the peppers, giving some to the chickens, setting some aside to dry, 


and chopping the remaining ones to sauté with onions.


The only things remaining in the garden are a few kale and Swiss chard plants, surely destined to freeze to death this week, and six parsley plants. Parsley, a biennial, will live through the winter and grow tall seed stalks next summer. We always keep the second-year parsley because it is a favorite food of the black swallowtail butterfly caterpillar.

There’s nothing left for me to do except keep an eye on the cold frame seedlings, which will begin to produce in January or February. Dennis, on the other hand, still has to talk some farmers into letting him have truckloads of manure, which he will spread on the garden to decay under the winter snows.

My back hurts and I’m dog tired, but now I can relax and enjoy the fruits of our labor. Bring on the books. I’m going to read, sew, and cook until March, when the gardening season will begin again.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: