Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sick Day


It has been a long time since I’ve been sick, but today I’m feverish, head-achy, and light-headed. Most of the day I’ve been lying in bed, reading a bit, dozing a bit, and lying motionless with my eyes closed.

Seldom is this house utterly quiet. I’m accustomed to the clatter of cooking pots, the ringing telephone, and NPR on the radio. Today, though, I was conscious of the furnace coming on. I could distinguish between the sound of the heat pump and the whisper of air moving through the vents. I noticed a sudden pop as the wooden floor gave up moisture to the drier winter air. I heard a gurgle of my own digestive juices.

But most of the time there were no house or human sounds. I remembered the Simon and Garfunkel song, “The Sounds of Silence.” Truly silence is not entirely silent. It seemed I could hear a faint whoosh, which I took to be the sound of this great orb spinning through space. Along with the whoosh was a faint musical tone, steadily proclaiming the force of life in its myriad forms.

Truth be told, I’ve rather enjoyed being sick, although I hope that tomorrow will be filled with the usual sounds of human activity.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: