Sunday, August 4, 2013

Voodoo Doll


Getting an acupuncture treatment is amusing, in a way. I always think of my body as a voodoo doll, bristling with needles. But the analogy breaks down immediately because Gina, the acupuncturist, pokes needles into me, not with malice, but with intent to restore my injured nerve.

I started acupuncture treatments a couple of weeks ago out of desperation, having read research reports showing that electro-acupuncture speeds nerve healing, but I was skeptical. Gina told me not to expect immediate results; that healing would accelerate with repeated treatments.

Just as she predicted, the first three treatments brought only tiny improvements, but the last two brought dramatic results. I now can raise my forearm so that my hand is vertical.

There's still a long way to go before complete recovery. I still can’t raise my forearm with an object in my hand, but I believe that, too, will come. Thumb and forefinger are still partially numb and my forearm doesn't raise straight up but is slightly canted inward. This, too, will be resolved, I believe. I also believe that belief in recovery is essential for healing to occur.

For the first time in eight weeks I have hope of recovery. I envision driving my car to renew my driver’s license next month. I can see myself kneading bread dough with both hands. I imagine myself sewing again. I do believe my life isn’t over yet.

Acupuncture may remind me of voodoo, but it sure is good medicine. I’m a skeptic no more.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

1 comment:

LawrenceLinda said...

What a contrast to your last post! Hip! Hip! Hooray! for Gina and elect-acupuncture and for your having the persistence to find and believe in a cure for your arm. Great news!