Saturday, August 31, 2013

Good News and Bad News


First the good news, isn’t that how it’s supposed to go?

I can use my arm again. It was paralyzed for eight weeks. I had to pick up my left hand with the right one and lift it into its sling. Then I had several electro-acupuncture treatments. Noticeable improvement came from the first treatment and each subsequent one, but then it was time to go to Colorado and the treatments stopped.

To my delight and surprise, improvements kept coming. Each day I can do a little more with my arm and yesterday I drove my car for the first time in three months. I was thrilled to be going somewhere without help from anyone. I can cook now and bathe and use the keyboard. I can carry things and lift them to a table. I’m not finished improving yet, but I’m almost there.

Now for the bad news: during these three months since my shoulder surgery I have been waited on hand and foot. Even when I wanted to do something, someone would step in and take over. Dependency has been my downfall, I’m afraid. I played the queen bee too long and have become accustomed to being served. In short, I’ve become lazy!

Will I recover from this secondary illness? I surly hope so.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: