Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Reorganization


I can’t explain why one of our kitchen drawers contains kitchen towels, dishcloths, bar rags, cooking thermometers, chewing gum, matchbooks and lozenges. There’s little logic in putting all these things together; that’s just the arrangement that evolved and I dare not change it.

A couple of years ago I completely rearranged my sewing room/studio in what seemed a logical order. Then, when we needed wire, for example, I couldn’t remember where I had put it. I’ve spent two years searching for things and finally have a mental map of where they are located.

If I reorganized the kitchen drawers it would take two more years to become accustomed to the order of things. It doesn’t make sense, but we know where things are, although I’m still looking for a couple of tools that disappeared in the sewing room reorganization. I won’t make that mistake again.

I’m not changing anything. I may not have much time left and I don’t want to waste it looking for things. Instead of trying to organize my house, I prefer to admire the oriental poppies’ fleeting beauty. They are very well organized.


Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: