Thursday, May 9, 2013

Generosity


Is generosity learned or innate?

My daughter Carol was born with a generous spirit. She would lend her meager allowance to any child who asked and never expect repayment. Once, when we were vacationing on a shoestring budget Carol used the little spending money she had to buy me a present, a candle that I have kept unburned for nearly 30 years.

I, on the other hand, learned generosity later in life. Not that I was selfish – I was unaware, without consciousness. I learned generosity from Carol and am thankful to her for that gift.

Now I know that nothing is more gratifying than giving to others. Sharing when I have plenty or even letting go of a treasure that another person admires gives me a sense of being intricately connected with other human beings, of being selfless.

Seed starting gives me an opportunity to be generous. I always start more plants than we need, just so I can share with friends and family. This year I have 36 tomato plants, 23 pepper plants, 20 parsley plants and as many basil plants. We need only a fraction of those for our garden. It is my pleasure to give most of them away.

Thank you, Carol for the gift of generosity. In a way, I suppose this is my Mother's Day post.


Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: