Thursday, May 23, 2013

Late May Day


This May has been unusually cool, cloudy and rainy. A freeze blackened the potato plants and killed most of the gooseberry blossoms. It may have ruined the apple blossoms, too, but I haven’t been to the pasture to check.

Today is cool, more like Colorado than Kansas, just 69 degrees. Pam, our yard and garden helper, is lining the garden fence with wood mulch to keep out weeds and grass. I’ve been wandering around outside, looking and taking photos.

I started in the garden. I’m happy that seed starting has moved into Phase 4; tomatoes, sweet potatoes, basil and parsley are in the ground. They don’t show up in this photo, which is dominated by onions, garlic, shallots, broccoli, cauliflower, and, in the far right, the potatoes, which have started new growth after being frozen.


Phase 5 of seed starting is also in progress. This is the stage of dispersing extra plants to friends, family and neighbors. The plant tray holds heirloom tomatoes, basil, parsley and pimento peppers ready to give away. 


In the memorial, where ashes of friends are scattered, the wild phlox is blooming beside a stone bench. The prayer beads were left by friends of one of the deceased whose ashes lie here.


Heading back to the house I noticed a leaf caught under the door sill.


But, on closer inspection, it turned out to be a moth, no doubt scouting out the venue for our annual moth festival.


My walkabout was a wonderful distraction from anxiety about my up-coming shoulder surgery. I’ve had too many operations to repair and patch up rheumatoid arthritis damage. This will be the fifteenth or sixteenth and I’m weary of being in the shop for repairs. Nature, music and books help distract me from pain and worry. I’m lucky to live in Paradise.

Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

No comments: