Saturday, May 11, 2013

Re-Creation


Although my mother died in 1985 she lives on in several ways. She lives in our memories, of course, and family members frequently recall stories about Mom. She was a teacher for 40 years, beginning in a one-room country school, where she prepared a hot lunch for her students on the wood stove that heated the building. Surely hers was one of the first school hot lunch programs in the country.

Eventually she became an inspiring high school history and geography teacher, whose high standards did not deter senior students from enrolling in her elective geography class in droves. Being the first in her family to graduate from college, she was passionate about learning and teaching. She was a proud sponsor of the Honor Society.

Mom kept up on all the news and long before most Americans realized what was happening in Vietnam, she was trumpeting the danger of our becoming more deeply involved. She loved not only newspapers but also books on a variety of subjects and was a regular patron of the public library.

In the tiny town (population 103) where we lived she was active in church and organized an interdenominational group called “Christian Youth.” That group became the focus of social life for rural teens (known as “country kids") as well as those who lived in town.

Her sense of humor was quick and wry. She laughed easily and often. She and I acted silly together and went on shopping larks in Kansas City, where we went into hat shops just to try on the merchandise and laugh at ourselves.

She was a marvelous cook, renowned for her pies, hot rolls, cakes and biscuits.

Mother lives on, too, in my daughter Nancy especially. Nancy is passionate about education and has been an English teacher in both high school and middle school. Students love her. She has volunteered at school to work individually with youngsters who have learning problems. Nancy reads newspapers and books avidly. Her cooking is masterful and delicious. She was active in church until the church sucked up too much of her energy. Last, but not least, Nancy has Mother’s wry wit and ready laugh. Any time I am feeling down I try to get Nancy on the phone, knowing that she will have me laughing within a minute.

It is my great good fortune to have my mother reincarnated in my daughter!



Copyright 2013 by Shirley Domer

2 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Wow! Thank you for this lovely honor, mother! I'm thrilled I took after my beloved Mamaw! Now I have a daughter who has your sensitivity and creativity. She sees the world in colors and reminds me so much of you! I love being sandwiched by two people whom I adore and who are so similar!

Love to you, Mother, on this Mother's Day!

Jayhawk Fan said...

One of the passwords for my first comment to your blog was ARTISTIC! How ironic!