Thursday, August 16, 2012

Serendipity

Wednesday's temperature was in the high nineties. I went grocery shopping and there in the meat section lay packages of beef shank slices. They were large and meaty. I had been daydreaming about soup, which was ridiculous considering the temperature. Nevertheless, I bought a beef shank and, lo, and behold, the next day's temperature was in the sixties.

Out came the soup pot. After the beef shank browned in a little olive oil I added two cups of water and two teaspoons of beef base. After it came to a boil I turned the heat to low and let it simmer for three hours.

I removed the beef shank to a cutting board and to the broth I added chopped onions, celery, carrots and garlic. I let these cook for a bit while I peeled and chopped some of our pitifully small tomatoes. After adding the tomatoes I decided it was too thick, so I added more water and beef base. While this mix was simmering with a lid on, I suddenly remembered the affinity between beef and barley, so I added 2/3 cup of barley along with the beef, which I shredded with my fingers. It was darned good.

Another cold front moved through this afternoon, so, after a day of rest, the soup had an encore this evening. It was another simple meal, and just as satisfying as all the others. Of course, there is peach pie for dessert, but I've promised myself I won't post any more pie photos.


What if the simultaneous occurrence of my soup urge and the cool weather is not serendipity at all? What if I had a foreknowledge of the cool weather to come? What if by the act of preparing for soup-making I facilitated the cool weather?

Of course I believe no such thing. I believe in serendipity. I'm a devotee of Carl Jung. Still, I might buy soup ingredients again when the weather is hot, just to see.

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

I've closed most of the windows this morning and am wearing a jacket as I write this. The cooler weather has brought out a new energy to get things done and to cook in the kitchen again!

I can almost taste this lovely-looking soup!