Monday, November 1, 2010

Good-Bye To All That


Once upon a time, I liked to get dressed up. Shoes were especially important for some reason, and I was a sucker for fancy ones. It started when I was still in college with a pair of expensive white linen sling-back spike heels, decorated on the toes with mink fur.  I couldn't afford them, but relished wearing them on dinner dates and feeling glamorous.

Over the years I bought a lot of silly shoes, ending with this pair. Was it in the eighties? Who knows, but the soles are barely scuffed.  I suspected that this was my last pair of frivolous shoes and sentimentally kept them in a box for all these years.

I wasn't ready to give up that part of my self-image, I guess. Now I am. I no longer identify with the woman who wore these shoes and they've lost their charm. My footwear passion is still powerful, but has turned to good garden clogs and house slippers with arch support.

The golden slippers, size 10 2A, are available to anyone who will love them.

2 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

I think your granddaughter Cleo has inherited that shoe love! She's just about your size, but I think her feet are considerable wider.

Shirley said...

Cleo seems a likely candidate to carry these shoes forward, even if she just keeps them in a box.