Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chris Cuts A Swath

Last week Chris and I were in the pasture, considering how to restore the native grasses to the graded area around the new barn. He said, "If I had a scythe, I could cut the grasses, lay them on the bare soil to hold it in place, and the seeds would fall into the soil."

"Follow me," I said.

Thirty years ago I bought a scythe at a shop specializing in old tools. For many years it has been hanging in an elm tree. The blade was rusted, the wooden handle pale and dry.

"It's yours," I said. Chris beamed and loaded it in his car.

Today he came back with the scythe, cleaned of rust, sharpened and oiled.


Off he went to the pasture.



What a pleasure it is to unite an object with a person who will care for it and use it! This is my new hobby.

2 comments:

Flatlander said...

Haha! That's wonderful! You know, I once tried to use that darn thing... but without cleaning it up. Obviously, I didn't manage to get much done that day.

Jayhawk Fan said...

While I was reading your post, I broke into the song, "If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning...All over this land!"

Chris is still as good-looking as when he was younger!

I can see why you bought that scythe and now gave it to Chris. It's a beauty.