Thursday, October 7, 2010

I'm A Nut

Amazon.com sent me an e-mail with a comment someone made on a comment I made, but don't remember making. It had to do with King Arthur flour. Apparently I had said I wouldn't buy flour that had to be shipped halfway across the country when perfectly good flour is milled right here in Kansas. The commentator labeled me a locavore radical and essentially called me a nut.

Well, I guess I am. I am devoted to Hudson Cream flour, milled in Stafford County, Kansas. I use both Hudson cream unbleached flour and whole wheat flour. The whole wheat is more finely milled than King Arthur's, and makes a better whole wheat loaf.

To celebrate my nuttiness today, I made bread.


I used one cup of Hudson Cream unbleached flour and eight cups of Hudson Cream whole wheat. That required opening a new bag of unbleached.


After two rises of the dough, I made up the loaves using the ancient Way Right scale to weigh, and balance the weight of, each loaf.


Forty-five minutes later they were in the oven, perfuming the house with good old Kansas wheat.

I'm sticking to my guns. Remember, King Arthur was a cuckold.

4 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

You made me laugh out loud with that last line! Some people!

You make the BEST pies and bread I know of (and I've tasted them from all over, including France), so if you're a radical, I'll keep you! The French tarts I tasted couldn't hold a candle to one of your fruit pies, honest to Pete!

I love you, you nut!

Jayhawk Fan said...

P.S. LOVE the photos!

Jayhawk Fan said...

I'm keep seeing your headline, "I'm a Nut," on my GOOGLE homepage, but for some reason, I read it this morning as, "I'm a SLUT!" Sorry, Mom.

Kansas Scout said...

I am a huge fan of Hudson Cream flour too! Great stuff!