Monday, October 25, 2010

Fall Gardening

When I was growing up, my dad, a farmer, always planted a garden in the spring. He grew lettuce, radishes, tomatoes, sweet corn, green beans, and peppers (which he always harvested too soon). By mid-August the garden was finished until the next spring.

As an adult, I followed my dad's gardening practices, but a couple of years ago I decided to try a fall garden, which I had read about, but never seen. The results were spectacular and delicious.

It seems odd to be starting seeds in pots in July, but that is when I start savoy cabbage, escarole, and raddichio seedlings. This year I forgot to start raddichio, but the escarole and cabbages are thriving in the cooler weather.


Every morning the cabbage heads are laden with dew. The cabbages are getting so large they are dwarfing the escarole plants which are almost two feet wide.


Kale was another late planting. It's progressing more slowly, interspersed with volunteer dill. Normally we wouldn't have dill and cilantro in late October, but this year we are blessed with no frost so far.


Almost miraculous are the numerous butterfly caterpillars that feast on the dill and, in this photo, on a forgotten carrot that has now bloomed. These caterpillars will over-winter in garden litter, and emerge as butterflies in the spring.


Meanwhile, in the cold frames, lettuce, spinach, and arugula are up and gaining a toe hold. We should have fresh homegrown salad for Thanksgiving as well as spinach salad in February.


Dad would have enjoyed this fall bounty. I wish he were still here to share it with us. When he was farming, he would have been hand-picking field corn in late October, with the work horses, Babe and Belle, patiently pulling the wagon forward as he progressed down the row. How life has changed.

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Well, this one brought a tear to my eyes and feelings of wonderment! I had no idea a caterpillar could OVERWINTER! I've noticed a large number of honey bees and bumble bees today and it's getting cold and I was wondering where they go when it turns freezing...and the vision of Papaw out in the field in his khaki-colored clothing just made my heart swell up.

Mama! Your photos never cease to amaze me! I swear your cabbage photo was done professionally! Savoy cabbage is NOT cheap either! I loved a meal my Korean friend made with Savoy cabbage! Now she's in Korea eating it without me!