Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hanky-Panky In The Garden

In 2009 I planted two kinds of heirloom beans, Tiger's Eye and Rattlesnake, both for use as dried beans. They were tasty so I saved seeds of each to plant this year.

This year's crop is interesting. The Tiger's Eye beans look just like they did last year.


Some of the Rattlesnakes look the same, too.


But about a third of the Rattlesnake beans have the Tiger's Eye markings while retaining their normal Rattlesnake colors.



It appears there's been a little gene transfer going on. Grains of Tiger's Eye pollen have been after the Rattlesnake ladies. I'm hoping that it wasn't just markings that transferred, but also the Tiger's Eye tender skin trait. If that has happened, then we may have a new bean variety worth preserving. We could call them Snake Eyes.

It's easy to understand Mendel's obsession with plant genetics. What will successive plantings of these beans bring?

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Wow! Cool beans! I've been watching my cosmos for years and notice the occasional striped cosmo show up. I wonder how this happens? More research! Congratulations on your new variety. We should contact the bean authorities!