Friday, September 24, 2010

Mabel* Takes The Bait

More than two years ago our pack rat troubles began. The blower in my car was totally clogged with what the mechanic called "knitting." Actually it was shreds of Kazak's red and yellow blanket, which was already so frayed it looked unchanged to us. That happened twice, costing a little over $200 for removal of nest material.

The last straw came when the cruise control wiring in Dennis' car was chewed to pieces. (If anyone can benefit from cruise control, it's Dennis.) I bought a Have-A-Heart trap. Last night Dennis baited the trap with some good cheese and set it in the garage where our little guest had shredded some newspapers.

This morning we got to meet Mabel. Isn't she adorable? That big eye, the eye of a nocturnal creature.


Mabel was uncooperative during the photo op. What's more, she hadn't touched the cheese.


After the photo op, Dennis took Mabel to an abandoned barn a few miles from our house to release her. He wanted her to have shelter while she finds a substitute for the dog food she's been mooching from Annie.

In the likely case that Mabel has family here, the trap will be set again tonight.

*Actually we don't know whether it's Mabel or Morris. It just looked feminine to us.

4 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

I love your ON-THE-SPOT reporting with photos!

I was sure I was going to read, "After the photo-op Dennis took Mabel outside to the back of the barn and SHOT HER!" Glory be! She's got a chance at a new life!

Shirley said...

I missed a great photo op this evening, when Dennis found the blacksnake in the chicken house again. As usual Dennis tossed him out, but I wish he had called me first. I'll get a picture of that rascal sooner or later.

Jayhawk Fan said...

My family isn't convinced Mabel was any bigger than a gerbil. Too bad there wasn't something in the photo to help with size comparison....both Zach and I are at a loss here for that VERY word we're thinking of...

That ding-dang SNAKE!

Shirley said...

Is the word "scale?"