Thursday, September 16, 2010

Eating in Season, Lesson #1

There's a great lesson to be learned from eating in season: Know when it is over.

Here are the last two summer tomatoes.


I've hoarded them past their prime, trying to prolong the season, but it's time to eat them. A tomato hoarded far beyond its prime is a rotten tomato.

Real tomato season is over. Sure, a few tomatoes have set on the garden plants since the weather has cooled, but they won't have the texture and taste of hot weather fruits. We can even pick the green ones when a frost threatens and wrap them in newspaper to ripen. Those will be just a cut above faux tomatoes in the grocery store.

Here in Kansas tomato season runs from July through mid-September if the summer is hot, a bit longer if the summer is milder. Then it is time to eat fall greens and winter squash.

Human life is like that, too. Take for example, the silly New York Times article headlined "The Politics of Polite," by Natalie Angier.* It's about mature women who don't like to be called "Ma'am." Basically, they don't want anyone to acknowledge that they aren't girls any more. But youth is a season of one's life and when it is over, it is over.

As tomatoes, mature women are past their prime. Sure there are wrinkle creams and face lifts, but the results are comparable to grocery store faux tomatoes. The mature woman is in her season of wisdom and grace, if she will allow herself to be. It is a delicious season to be relished and enjoyed.

*August 28, 2010

1 comment:

Jayhawk Fan said...

Good heavens! Mama! Beautiful inside and out! I love, love, LOVE this post.

The tomato photo looks like a food stylist tried to make the best of the tomatoes given to her!

As I look at recent photos of myself, I've been feeling distressed at the changes I see, but with this post, I will re-evaluate my own self impressions. I'm thinking of growing my thin hair long and wrapping the candy floss into a tiny bun. Now that I'm middle-aged, I figure I can start doing what I want!

Thank you for the lovely insight and important reminder!

Love you!